recover from devices. Is it possible?
Manuel Espinoza
2009-06-30 18:27:13 UTC
Hi all;

I'm using ASE 15 Developer, and I had 4 DB for testing here. I have no idea
why, but the server just stopeed working last saturday, so no chance for a
backup(ok, my bad I didn'd do any backup before :( ). Now I have a new
server, but I wonder if I could get back my DB from only those .dat files.

Any idea?

Thanks in advance!
Bret Halford [Sybase]
2009-07-01 15:40:03 UTC
Post by Manuel Espinoza
Hi all;
I'm using ASE 15 Developer, and I had 4 DB for testing here. I have no idea
why, but the server just stopeed working last saturday, so no chance for a
backup(ok, my bad I didn'd do any backup before :( ). Now I have a new
server, but I wonder if I could get back my DB from only those .dat files.
Any idea?
Thanks in advance!
Yes. Use the DISK REINIT command to create the sysdevices table entries
for the devices, then DISK REFIT to cause ASE to scan the devices
and build up the sysdatabases and sysusages system tables from what
it finds on the disk.
José Manuel Espinoza
2009-07-01 17:15:35 UTC
Post by Bret Halford [Sybase]
Post by Manuel Espinoza
Hi all;
I'm using ASE 15 Developer, and I had 4 DB for testing here. I have no idea
why, but the server just stopeed working last saturday, so no chance for a
backup(ok, my bad I didn'd do any backup before :( ). Now I have a new
server,  but I wonder if I could get back my DB from only those .dat files.
Any idea?
Thanks in advance!
Yes. Use the DISK REINIT command to create the sysdevices table entries
for the devices, then DISK REFIT to cause ASE to scan the devices
and build up the sysdatabases and sysusages system tables from what
it finds on the disk.
Thansk for the answer, Bret.

I'm going to try it, but in the meanwhile... would it matter if the DB
where set on more than one device?
José Manuel Espinoza
2009-07-01 22:23:32 UTC
I can't get it to work... :(

I'm asked to start the server with "-m" option, then do the disk
reinit, but when I try to run the "disk refit" command, I'm asked to
run the server with the trace flag 3608, but I cannot start it with
such flag:

C:\sybase\ASE-15_0\bin\sqlsrvr.exe -sSERVERCHUY -T3608

Will lead to error.

Any idea?
Bret Halford [Sybase]
2009-07-02 17:22:33 UTC
Post by José Manuel Espinoza
I can't get it to work... :(
I'm asked to start the server with "-m" option, then do the disk
reinit, but when I try to run the "disk refit" command, I'm asked to
run the server with the trace flag 3608, but I cannot start it with
C:\sybase\ASE-15_0\bin\sqlsrvr.exe -sSERVERCHUY -T3608
Will lead to error.
Any idea?
Doesn't look like enough parameters being passed here, for instance
no -d <master device>....

Usually you would make a copy of the RUN_servername file and add the -m
and -T parameters there and use that file to start the server.

Bret Halford [Sybase]
2009-07-02 17:20:30 UTC
Post by Bret Halford [Sybase]
Post by Manuel Espinoza
Hi all;
I'm using ASE 15 Developer, and I had 4 DB for testing here. I have no idea
why, but the server just stopeed working last saturday, so no chance for a
backup(ok, my bad I didn'd do any backup before :( ). Now I have a new
server, but I wonder if I could get back my DB from only those .dat files.
Any idea?
Thanks in advance!
Yes. Use the DISK REINIT command to create the sysdevices table entries
for the devices, then DISK REFIT to cause ASE to scan the devices
and build up the sysdatabases and sysusages system tables from what
it finds on the disk.
Thansk for the answer, Bret.
I'm going to try it, but in the meanwhile... would it matter if the DB
where set on more than one device?
No, but you do need to do DISK REINIT for each device (and if you have
lost any of the devices this process won't work, although in some cases
where the lost device was a log device or a data device that didn't
yet have allocations it can still be possible to recover with
considerably more work).