Load 2004 db dump to ASE 15
unknown
2010-01-13 16:22:51 UTC

I have to recover an archived user DB from 2004 onto ASE 15.
Does anyone know what issues I might face? To begin with I
have no DDL for the DB to recover (or version of ASE used to
dump), all I have is the full dump. Do I just create a for
load DB with size of combined dump stripes?

Thx,
rick_806
Bret Halford
2010-01-13 16:53:42 UTC
Post by unknown
Hi,
I have to recover an archived user DB from 2004 onto ASE 15.
Does anyone know what issues I might face? To begin with I
have no DDL for the DB to recover (or version of ASE used to
dump), all I have is the full dump. Do I just create a for
load DB with size of combined dump stripes?
Thx,
rick_806
If you first just create a minimal sized database
and try to load into it, it won't load but will
tell you exactly how big you need to make the database.
(the sum of the dump stripes is almost certainly
also going to be too small as the dump generally omits
unallocated pages). You can do a better job of
laying out the database on disks.

Other issues might be that the dump was from a server
with a different default character set or sort order.
You should get error messages giving the specifics for
these as well if that is the case.

But yes, in general my approach would be to start by
just trying to load it.

-bret
Mark A. Parsons
2010-01-13 18:35:32 UTC
Adding to Bret's suggestion ...

First, create small (3-5) MB dummy database

Second, run 'load database/with headeronly'. This won't actually load the database but it should provide you with a
good bit of info to answer most (all?) of your questions:

- name of source database
- date database dump was created
- source dataserver version
- source backupserver version
- source dataserver page size
- source database size
- source dataserver's sort order and character set
- [12.5.4+] source dataserver's master..sysusages records corresponding to the dumped database

NOTE: I'm basing the above on info available from database dumps created with ASE 15.0.2. The actual info you receive
from the 'headeronly' flag depends on the source dataserver/backupserver versions, eg, the sysusages data was added with
ASE 12.5.4.
Post by Bret Halford
Hi,